Saturday, July 8, 2017

SURGERY

Hi folks,

I’ve been getting some emails asking about my spinal problems so thought I’d give people an update.

I go in for a spinal operation on Monday, July 17. The doctor told me it's a nine-week recovery period provided no complications. He said the first two weeks were the worst and the next two may or may not be bad but probably not. It's a two-surgeon deal where five vertebrae have closed over the spinal cord so they have to chip bone away from that and then put in steel stents to hold 'em together, I guess. They’ve already sent me a card to use at airports alerting them that the stints will set off alarms. Great… I think it's called a laminectomy (cervical) with fusion. Something about a stenosis. I saw the MRI and it shows the spinal cord disappearing into five vertebrae and then reappearing. I'm more worried about the anesthesia--looks like I'll be under awhile and with severe COPD I just hope I come out of it okay! Wish me luck! Life...

If successful, I should be rid of the intense pain I’ve had.

I’ve got a lot of books to write so I’m knocking on wood…

Please don’t send me any horror stories of similar operations going bad!

I’m hoping this will trigger sales on my books and folks posting reviews on Amazon—that will definitely cheer me up! (Just sayin…)

Blue skies,

Les

 When I was 18 and had virtually no spinal problems... Just bad haircut problems...

And, when I was 23 and still 6' 1/2" tall and not my current 5'8". Sucks to get old...

11 comments:

Corky said...

Will be thinking about you, Les. You'll be just fine - you're a feisty ol' gentleman. (Just re-watched Lonesome Dove. Got Gus on my mind.)

Unknown said...

Best of luck, Les.
Will say a prayer for you.

DB

Stacy said...

Fingers and toes crossed, Les.

I'll let you know when I'm in town next. If you need me to pick up anything and drop it off while I'm there, I can do that.

The Teddy Bear Family said...

Do you accept "my brother could go back to playing golf again after his surgery" stories, or should I not mention my brother? ;)

Will be praying for you.

Les Edgerton said...

Thanks, everyone! Teddy Bear, I love success stories! It's the unsuccessful ones I don't want to hear!

Lisa Ciarfella said...

Wow!! Sending many good thoughts and healing vibes yr way.
Also, your pics...so handsome!!

PokerBen said...

Les, you're in my thoughts buddy. I know you will come out of the surgery better than ever. Your recoup time shall be a good excuse to read some good books. Good luck.

Anne Gallagher said...

Praying for you and hope you are pain free sooner rather than later. Your old pal from VC.

JJ Toner said...

Break a leg, Les!

Judith said...

Good luck on Monday. I'll be thinking about you. Wishing you the best.

Les Edgerton said...

Thanks, everybody-I really appreciate all of your thoughts. I have some added incentive to get through this. An anthology I was invited to submit to just took the story I wrote for 'em. The cool thing is that they pay $250. I have to do an edit that will have to wait until I recover enough, but that'll give me all kinds of incentive! Blue skies, Les